- 1 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks, softened
- egg replacer for 3 eggs: Ener-G Egg Replacer mix,
- 4 ½ teaspoons mixed with 6 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 medium lemon peeled, removing all white rind and section skins if tough
Mix the sugar, flour, and salt together in a bowl. Add the softened butter and blend well. Add the beaten eggs and beat the mixture until smooth. Stir in the water with the lemon rind and lemon and mix well. Set mixture aside and prepare pie crusts.
- Egg replacer for 1 egg: Ener-G Egg Replacer mix,
- 1 1/2 teaspoon mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cup Crisco
- 1 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Beat together the egg, water, and vinegar and set aside. Cut the fat into the salt and flour until it resembles peas and cornmeal. Pour the liquid over the flour mixture. Stir and toss lightly together until the dough comes together.
Then gently form into 3 balls. Shape one ball of dough into a circle and using a cloth-covered rolling pin, lightly dusted with flour, gently roll the dough out from the center to fit the bottom of a 8-inch pie pan. Place the crust in the pan and pour in the lemon filling .
Roll out the second ball of dough slightly larger, place over the top of the filling, and using the extra dough, pinch the edges together and seal with a little water, if necessary. Brush the top with the reserved egg white, beaten, and sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon of sugar.
Vent the top of the pie and bake on the middle rack of the oven for thirty to thirty-five minutes, or until the top is golden brown. The third ball of dough can be frozen for later use as a single-crust pie.